Ratchet straps, also known as tie downs, or tie down straps, help safely and easily transport your quad or 4-wheeler. With the right gear and attention to detail, transporting your 4-wheeler is a breeze. That means you can spend less time trying to secure your quad in place, and more time enjoying a day out on the trails, no matter if you’re heading to the beach, forest, or desert.
The Right Ratchet Straps for The Job
The number one most important thing you need to transport your 4-wheeler is a quality set of ratchet straps. Straps should be a minimum of 1 to 2-inches wide to support the weight of your quad. Our straps measure 10.5 X 3.5 X 9.5 inches, offering ample support for four-wheelers of all sizes.
Secondly, the straps need to be attached at the correct points. Regardless if you’re hauling perpendicular or straight, you’ll need 4 tie-down straps per quad.
Over time, straps wear down and loss their strength. It’s better to replace straps early on as opposed to waiting for them to break while in use. Rest assured, our Ratchet Straps and Soft Loop Tie Straps are made from high quality industrial grade materials that’ll last a long time.
Top Related Article – Best ATV Tips
How to Tie Down a 4-Wheeler with Ratchet Straps
There are two different ways to tie down your ATV with straps. Before we get into that, it’s important to note that before you get started your ATV should be in neutral with the park brake on.
The first attachment method involves running straps through each wheel of the quad and then ratcheting them to the closet tie-downs. This method isn’t all that popular amongst people concerned with scraping up ATV rims. That’s where the second methodology for strapping down a quad comes into play. This method involves running straps beneath the 4-wheeler’s frame, and crossing them in an X-pattern where you attach them at the front and rear of the trailer.
If you strap your ATV to the trailer, it might move around a lot. That’s because if it’s not tied down tight enough, it will move as it naturally absorbs bumps in the road, just as it does when you ride it. To prevent your ATV from moving around, you’ll need to pre-tension the suspension with your straps until the quad can no longer move to absorb bumps in the road.
Ratchet Strap Tips
- Make sure the ratchet strap axle is on the outside. By placing it on the inside you make it virtually impossible to tie anything down.
- Feed the strap all the way through the axle before you start to ratchet it, otherwise you’ll end up with a big ball of strap near the ratchet, at which point you won’t be able to tie it down any tighter.
- Neatly bundle up additional strap material and tuck it somewhere safe and secure for transportation.
- To remove ratchet straps, simply pull up on the lever to release the pressure, once you release up to a certain point, you’ll feel the straps coming undone. Our specially designed straps make it super simple.
Don’t Make These Potentially Dangerous Mistake!
Don’t attach straps to the wrong places
Avoid attaching your ratchet straps to the bumper or luggage rack on your vehicle. These parts move with your vehicle’s suspension system, and when you go over bumps in the road it can cause your quad to come loose.
Don’t forget to replace old or worn out ratchet straps
Now is the time to replace your old or worn out ratchet straps. Using old straps can cause a lot of issues, and potentially lead to a dangerous situation on roadways.
Don’t use cheap off-brand straps
Straps must be built tough or else they’ll let you and your 4-wheeler down. High quality straps are not expensive, so there’s no reason not to pay a little extra for the added safety and security they provide.
What Sets Vault Cargo’s Ratchet Straps Apart?
Not only do you need the right vehicle to transport a 4-wheeler, but you also need the right high quality Ratchet Straps made for the job. Our ratchet straps provide unsurpassed strength and durability. Here are a few things that set our Ratchet Straps apart from the competition:
- Made from premium industrial grade materials
- Ergonomic design ensures that handles stay in place
- Can handle up to 500-pounds load capacity and up to 1,500-pounds break strength
- The rubber coated S hooks prevent damages to your quad
- They are made to work in perfect harmony with our Soft Loop Tie Straps