Don’t let camping on the beach turn salty—these awesome tips, tricks and hacks will help ensure the greatest trip of all time. From waterproofing your tent in minutes to starting a fire without wood, here’s what you need to know to slay your next seaside adventure!
#1. Waterproof Your Tent
Coastal weather can get crazy with little to no warning. High wind gusts laden with salty water or a total downpour can transform your cozy tent into a soggy nightmare. Before skipping town, pick up a can of waterproof spray and coat your tent, paying close attention to seams and corners.
#2. America’s Best Beach Campgrounds
Camping on the beach is an affordable way to enjoy a beautiful feet-in-the-sand vacation without the sky-high rates of a beach hotel. Some campsites offer rates as low as $8 per night (Malaquite Campground in Texas), or even $4 a night (Sea Camp Ground in Georgia), others range closer to $20 or $30 per night. All in all, even the nicest beaches offer affordable nightly rates, so you have a lot of options when it comes to finding the right place to go camping on the beach.
Some of America’s most beautiful places to go camping on the beach include:
- Kalaloch Campground, Olympic National Park in Washington
- Wai’anapanapa State Park in Muai, Hawaii
- Anastasia State Park in St. Augustine, Florida
- Cape Perpetua Campground at Siuslaw National Forest in Oregon
- Westport-Union Landing State Beach in Mendocino County, California
- Oceanside Campground at Assateague Island National Seashore in Maryland
- Ocracoke Campground, Cape Hatteras National Seashore in North Carolina
- Sea Camp Campground at Cumberland Island National Seashore in Georgia
- Ninilchik View Campground at Ninilchik State Recreation Area in Alaska
- Malaquite Campground at Padre Island National Seashore in Texas
- Bahia Honda State Park at Bahia Honda Key in Florida Keys
#3. Beach Camping with Wi-Fi
As of 2016, KOA estimated some 37 million American households went camping at least once in the last year. 95% of these people admit bringing some type of technology with them, and nearly half of survey respondents said the availability of free Wi-Fi played a role in where they camped.
Here are several ways to get Wi-Fi while camping on the beach:
- Camp at a location that offers free Wi-Fi.
- Synch laptops or other devices to your phone’s mobile hotspot—both Verizon and AT&T offer this service free of charge with their data plans.
- Buy a wireless router or a MiFi, a mini portable wireless router that works as a mobile Wi-Fi hotspot. You can connect 10 devices to a MiFi, currently offered by Virgin Mobile, AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, and Sprint.
- Heading somewhere isolated? You might not get great/any service, in which case a satellite attached to your car or RV can provide Internet.
#4. Forgot Fire Logs? Use Doritos Instead!
It’s becoming increasingly popular to use Doritos to spark a fire. It doesn’t matter what flavor you like best, they all act as a great fire starter.
#5. Keep The Bugs Outta Your Tent
Come prepared to share the beach with bugs that call the sandy shore home. The most annoying or persistent bugs vary depending on where you are camping, do some research ahead of time to know what you’ll be faced with and how to respond.
Sage repeals mosquitoes, simply place some in your campfire and the fumes will deter mosquitos from entering your space. Another excellent mosquito repellent, without the notorious smell of bug spray, is Johnson’s Baby Creamy Oil.
Ants in your pants? Not if you bring along a bag of uncooked grits! Sprinkle grits around your campsite and wherever you see ants.
#6. Don’t Forget Your Vault Cargo Carrier
Camping on the beach means packing all the right things, and the Cargo Hitch Carrier is the easiest way to ensure you have room for it all. Our uniquely engineered Carrier provides up to 500 extra pounds of hauling capacity. Despite how much gear this hardcore Carrier can store, it’s not bulky or obtrusive. The convenient 60” x 24” platform fits just about any vehicle. Learn more about how the Vault Cargo Carrier can add ease and flexibility to all your great outdoors adventures!