If you love to take part in outdoor activities, you must add white water rafting Jackson Hole to your bucket list. There are things to do year round, but in the summer, there is no shortage of rafting, tours, and other events that you can enjoy with your loved ones. White water rafting is what Jackson Hole is known for, and there are many places where you can take advantage of this fast-paced activity. Here’s a look at white water rafting in Jackson Hole and an explanation of what you need to know, as well as where to go.
Where is Jackson Hole?
Jackson Hole is essentially a valley that is nestled between two mountain ranges. It is located in the city of Jackson, Wyoming, which is in the southwest region of the state. There is plenty of snow in the winter months, which translates to plenty of water fun to be had in the warmer part of the year.
What is White Water Rafting?
You have probably heard of white water rafting, but maybe you aren’t completely sure about what it is. When it is portrayed in movies or television, it often ends in accidents or people being frightened to get out there on the water. The truth is that every type of white water rafting isn’t the same, as there are levels to enjoy. There is everything from beginner levels to expert levels and everything in between.
There are six classes of white water that you can raft in, all of which will require you to be able to navigate to get through them. White water is water that appears white because there is a lot of airflow and movement running through it. This makes it harder to navigate than other waters.
To get through these rapids, you must use an inflatable boat and oars to get past the currents. This can be done with just a few people, or in small groups.
What to Remember when Rafting
There are a few things you should remember before you go white water rafting Jackson Hole. That way, you have the best experience possible.
- Make sure you have the right gear. Besides just having a life jacket in case there is an accident, you’ll also need to make sure that you are wearing the proper clothes and shoes. You should not wear anything that you can’t mess up, since you will be getting wet on the water.
- Do your homework about the guides. It is worth looking into many places before you decide which place you want to trust to guide you. Check out what types of services they offer, how much experience they have, and how long they have been in business. You will want to work with people that you can trust.
- Know how to swim. It is not smart to get on the water if you cannot swim. Swimming is a skill that can help you throughout your life, and you are never too old to learn or take lessons to brush up your skills.
- Be certain of how to paddle. You should also know how to paddle or use the oars available. In other words, practice what you’ll have to do once you get on the water. This can lead to less panicking when you actually have to get to work.
- Pay attention. Be aware of your surroundings at all times. While you most likely won’t be out in unsafe conditions or on waters that are dangerous to travel on, it is a sport where you have to work together to get back to shore. You need to pay attention so that you are doing your part and you don’t fall out of the boat.
Places to Check Out: Our Favorite Places to Go White Water Rafting Jackson Hole
You can really take advantage of many things the city has to offer when you look into what this company has to offer. They have everything from rafting to riding an aerial tram to keep you interested.
- 8-mile trips. There are 8-mile trips across the river where you can test your skills at rafting. The rapids are good for people that are beginners or have never been white water rafting before.
- Snake River floating. If you don’t want to have to do as much work, you can opt to float down the river. This is a chance to look at the beautiful landscapes and enjoy being out on the water. You will also be served lunch at the end of your journey.
- Floats and whitewater trips. For the best of both worlds, you can book a float and whitewater trip. You will get a sack lunch on this type of trip as well. It combines the 8-mile rafting trip with the 13-mile floating trip, making it all day action. You can choose a small boat or a large boat to ride in.
- Combo packages. There are other combo packages to look into as well. Some of these include either floating or rafting and another activity. These activities include going on a safari, horseback riding, and even attending a rodeo.
There are so many options available when you use this business for your white water rafting Jackson Hole adventure. This means every member of your family can find something they’d like to do during your trip, and you won’t have to book many different appointments.
If you are interested in being fed along with having a great experience on the river, this place offers something unique. They have a commercial kitchen where they cook, and offer opportunities for you to have breakfast depending on the package you choose.
- Trips on the river. You can go on an 8-mile journey, or you can pick a trip that has breakfast included before you hit the waves. There are two types of boats for both of these options.
- Breakfast on the water. If you want more of a laidback experience, you can choose the breakfast and floating package. This one lets you eat breakfast, float down the river, and later you can also go rafting.
- See the animals. Like other places, you can see the animals while you are in the wilderness. There are select tours you may purchase, where they will take you down specific parts of the river that animals are most likely to hang out.
- Floating and fishing. If you love fishing, they also have a floating and fishing combo. You can get the best of both worlds. This is great way to learn or practice your fly-fishing.
Deciding what you want to do is key before choosing a package with Barker-Ewing. Between all the activities and being able to enjoy breakfast, it is something that you may remember all of your life.
You not only have the option of many different types of rafting at this place, but they will also help you find a place to stay, as well as other things to do. You can go hiking or take a spa day, which are things not everyone offers.
- 8-mile trip. This trip can be used as a great experience for everyone. It takes you through a famous part of Snake River and the waters are not too rough for anyone, even children.
- 13-mile trip. If you don’t want to raft, you can pick this package, which lets you glide down the river in a boat. It is a great way to relax and look at some of the birds in the area.
- 16-mile trip. This longer option gives you an easy ride and then there is a short break. After that, you will white water raft back to shore and enjoy lunch for all your hard work.
- 21-mile trip. The 21-mile trip is a mix of the 13-mile trip where you can float down the water and relax. Then you will take the 8-mile white water trip, to get the most out of your time in the river.
Since there are a handful of trips to choose from, you might have a hard time deciding. However, there is one to fit everyone’s needs, and other activities to check out as well.
There are many things to like about what Mad River offers. It is a great place to get a group of people together, they have options for everyone, and they will even send you a vacation guide to help you find other things you want to do around the area.
- Learn to guide. You can use this business to start your career as a rafting guide. It is open to anyone that is interested and only takes 5 days. It can help you learn how to stay safe, how to take care of a boat, and much more.
- Different sized boat trips. They offer trips in super small boats, small-ish boats, and classic sized boats. Each type travels through miles of white water, so you are sure to have an experience.
- Group rafting. This company specializes in group rafting as well. You can take a large family or group there for a special occasion and the ride can be tailored to fit everyone’s needs. The older adults will be able to ride on calmer seas than those that are younger and more curious about rougher waters.
- Scenic packages. If you want to take advantage of all the scenery there is to see, it is a good idea to check out a package that lets you ride on the river and look at nature as well. There are rafting and ATV tours, you can go horseback riding, or go on a sunset wildlife tour.
You can raft, float, and do pretty much anything else with this service. If you are really into inflatable rafting, you can even learn how to be a guide. This can help you if you are trying to break into this niche or if you want to work somewhere where it will help you to improve this type of skill. This company makes white water rafting Jackson Hole fun, exciting, and rather informative.
With Teton Whitewater, you can be sure that you are seeing some of the most beautiful parts of the Jackson Hole region. They travel to different places, to get the best views and some great rafting too.
- Grand Teton National Park floating. If you want to float right by the mountains, there is a package for you. You will be able to see the majestic Teton Mountains in all their glory.
- Classic rafting. Classic rafting involves a classic sized boat, which holds at least 10 people. This raft takes you on a ride down the river where you will get wet, have fun, and get your adrenaline going.
- Check out photos. There will be photos taken of you when you are on the water. You can opt to purchase them if you want, so you can always remember your time white water rafting Jackson Hole.
- Look at the sights and raft. If you desire to check out more than one thing, there are a few combo packages. One is a scenic and rafting combo, where you can take in the scenery and also take advantage of the rapids.
This business focuses on all of the areas that you do not want to miss when you are in Jackson Hole. You will get to see mountains up close, look at animals, and enjoy rafting. That may be the outdoor mix you’re looking for.
If you aim to bring your kids rafting, this is a family friendly place. They enjoy making all their riders comfortable on the water, and take kids rafting each day. They have all the classic packages as well, so you can choose your favorite way to go white water rafting Jackson Hole.
- Early bird rates. If you book early enough, you can get special rates. They also offer a coupon code on their site, where you can get a few bucks off any trip.
- Rafting and a cookout. One package that you can’t get elsewhere is the steak cookout package. End your rafting trip with a cookout at camp. You can get a great dinner and enjoy the sun as it sets.
- Classic rides. Classic rafts are a specialty here and are a common way to go rafting. These are rafts that can handle around 8 people, sometimes more, and are what you think about when you picture white water rafting.
- Small boats. You can also raft in small boats with Lewis and Clark. These boats take a maximum of eight people, so they are for smaller groups. The size also makes everyone in the boat a rower.
They have been operating for many years and enjoy seeing families spend quality time together. You can even call and talk to them beforehand. They are more than happy to help you figure out what you want to take advantage of and how you want to plan your trip.
Like others on this list, this company has been operating for many years. They have a proven track record and have completed thousands of successful trips down Snake River.
- Class II and III rapid trips. All the rafting trips are in these two classes of rapids. These are good for people of all skill levels, since they aren’t so powerful that someone will get hurt.
- Overnight trips. If you love camping, the overnight trip may be a great idea. You get to go on a float down the river to get to your campsite. There you will find authentic teepees to sleep in. The next morning, it’s time to get to rafting.
- See Prichard Canyon. There is a package where you can get a front row seat to see Prichard Canyon and also get to eat breakfast and look at the great outdoors.
- Breakfast or Lunch trips. There are multiple options you can choose where you will eat lunch or breakfast during your trip. Food will help you stay fueled up to hit the waves or enjoy a lazy day looking at nature.
You have the ability to pick from a handful of trips with this company. They offer camping, food, as well as legendary white water rafting Jackson Hole trips. You can find something to do that will be fun for you and your children.
This place is a little different because they not only have tours, but they also give lessons on a number of different types of boats and activities. This can help you learn a skill that you can use with you on other vacations.
- Rafting lessons. If you want to learn how to raft, you can do it here. This includes learning how to white water raft, as well as learning how to raft while looking at the views in a more scenic setting.
- Kayak lessons. They also offer a number of lessons in kayaking. These are things like freestyle, river running, or kayaking down a river. If you are familiar with using a boat of this size, it may be something interesting to you.
- Paddleboarding lessons. You can even learn how to paddleboard. This is a sport that is gaining attention and can be done in many places across the country.
- Inflatable lessons. Inflatable kayaks are also available for tours or for learning how to use. These kayaks are small and ensure that you get a workout while fighting the waves.
You can catch a tour and learn some things with Rendezvous River Sports. They offer private lessons on anything revolving around getting in the water. It’s a great way to get more confident with water sports.
This company has been operating under the same management for over 2 decades. They sell a few different types of packages, although they specialize in trips where you float down the water.
- Float trips. Children and adults alike can enjoy the float trips, although there are certain rules you must follow. You will float on a 13-mile journey and get a view of the Teton Mountains.
- Combination deals. If you want to float and do some white water rafting, you can get a package that lets you take advantage of both options. You will start off by floating, eat lunch, and then set out on the rapids.
- Lots of wildlife to see. You will be provided with binoculars so you can see the wildlife from your place on the water. You can look forward to seeing multiple types of animals, including bald eagles, moose, beavers, and elk.
- Whitewater classic or small boat. Depending on the size of your group, there are classic or small boats that you can use for rafting. Each boat offers a different experience to the user.
You can float or raft with the guides at Teton Expeditions. The idea is to sit back and enjoy the wildlife. There are animals in this section of the world that you may not see in your hometown. Besides that, it is a great place to bring the people you love.
White water rafting Jackson Hole is a sport that pretty much anyone can take advantage of and it is a great activity to share with your family. When you are white water rafting in Jackson Hole, there are plenty of places to check out as well.
So many businesses in the area have been giving tours and rides for decades, and do it every day in the peak season. Each place on this list is great at it and offers a little something different from the next place. However, there are a couple that stand out. Mad River Boat Trips not only has each type of package you want, but you can also learn how to be a rafting guide there, which can help out anyone that is interested.
Rendezvous River Sports also stands out since they offer lessons and tours in just about any type of small boat you can think of, from classic boats to paddleboards. They even have private lessons, so you get a one on one experience.